Sunday 17 June 2012

Cue Vera Lynn

I'll have to check my Chinese calendar.  Is this the Year of the Reunion? 

Over the years I have experienced a few occasional reunions, and one amusing overture.  Because we're linked to the Mennonite community, we are accustomed to periodic large family reunions that feature the world's best potluck feasts.  Last year, and for 3 years previously,  we were on a committee to plan a North America-wide Jutzi reunion that took place in June 2011.  A large part of the effort was the updating of a family directory of over 3000 members.

 In 1988, I attended my 25th high school reunion,where I failed to recognize a former boyfriend, and, after an evening of schmoozing at a banquet and dance, discovered the price tag hanging down the back of my new dress.

Collin and I  have organized a couple of reunions of a former small church congregation.

 I had a reunion lunch with my roommate from 1963 when I discovered her working at the community college my son was attending. She and I keep in touch sporadically and cling to the idea of getting together again.
 One fall recently  hubby and I each had a titillating experience, within the same week. I had discovered that my daughter's stage manager was the nephew of my high school boyfriend. He and I hooked up on Facebook and he subsequently got me hooked up with his uncle. Uncle invited me for coffee when coming near my city from his home in Vancouver. He was  currently between spouses, and I was busy - coffee didn't happen. At nearly the same time, a phone call came one Saturday morning from the woman my husband dated just before me. She thought she'd seen my name listed in our city's phone book at a separate address and assumed we weren't together. She wanted to invite him to coffee. Is coffee a risque euphemism for the older crowd? I suppose we were both flattered. It makes a great little conversation tidbit.

But this year, 2012, is the reunion prize winner. In February, we hosted a gathering of teaching colleagues from 30 years ago  (*see That Ol' Gang of Mine).
 Later in February we travelled to Costa Rica  with a tour group, and enjoyed each others' company so much that two members have planned a reunion for  August. (*see Life's a Beach in Costa Rica)
Then, in the spring we heard from a neighbour from 30 years back, planning a reunion of our condominium in Bramalea!! We attended that one in early June, saw ourselves mirrored in several older faces,  and were amazed to encounter many of those little neighbourhood kids all growed up with kiddies of their own. 

 It seems as we grow older these nostalgic gatherings mean so much more.  We tend to want to look backwards.  That view is longer and more comfortable than the view forward.   It's a wonderful thing and worth the effort to contrive reunions. People are always so grateful when someone initiates the process. If you build it, they will come.
We get too busy in our lives; we move on, make new connections and obligations.  We mean well when we say "we must get together".  But sometimes it actually happens.  It's a feel-good experience.

Now, sing it Vera.  "We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when, but I know we'll meet again......"

3 comments:

  1. It's nice that you've been able to reconnect with so many old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erm...so what's with not posting for two months?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just found this query in October!! I'm on it.

      Delete