Saturday 31 March 2012

I've Looked at Clouds From Both Sides....

I've been a devoted insomniac for most of my adult life.  It's not a pretty sight.  I'm sure I'd've moved several mountains by now, if I had just caught a little sleep now and then. Most days I generate enough adrenaline to fuel a small country, just to function at a basic level.  Can't remember the last time I awoke with that delicious drowsy feeling, drooling and stretching like a satisfied kitty. 

I have, of course, gone the pharmaceutical route at times, but that's not a happy longterm solution.  I have tried to follow all the standard wisdom, but  I do frequently give in and turn on the TV rather than flop about in confrontation with my demons between 2 and 5 a.m.  Reading is difficult in 3 of 4 seasons, because my hands get cold.  And reading seems more energetic than viewing. 

SO, for my recent birthday I decided to go for the ultimate solution on Dr. Oz's checklist - the best possible mattress.  I parted with a sizable chunk of change and  treated myself to a TempurPedic Cloud Luxe, and I think, but am afraid to say out loud, that I might just have landed on a solution.  Early results are in, and I'm feeling optimistic.  I'm definitely sleeping better, but my goal is to sleep brilliantly.  So, I'll be patient.  I've been such a dismal failure for so long, I don't expect brilliance overnight, so to speak.  I consider myself a sleeper-in-training.  I hope I'll have wonderful things to report here as time passes.  Even if I'm the only reader.  I'll be delighted to open this up and discover that I've been sleeping soundly! 

As a post script, I should add that I've also purchased My Pillow, which I learned about through telemarketing while awake in the middle of the night. It also seems to deliver.  Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. I should add here that I've actually looked at clouds not just from both sides but from 3 sides. While in Costa Rica, in the cloud forest, I looked at them from insides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nearly a month later, I can report that my night life is definitely improving. I'm having comfortable sleeps and I think there's a positive cumulative effect on my energy. Now, if my housemate would solve his snoring problem, I might invite him onto my cloud.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's mid-June and the experiment continues to prove a success. I still wake up too early in the morning, but while I'm asleep, the quality of that sleep is greatly improved. The next hurdle is to learn to sleep in.

    ReplyDelete